Cleaning sealant round double glazed windows
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
xAnn2002x
Labourer
Labourer

Cleaning sealant round double glazed windows

by xAnn2002x » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:48 pm

I had double glazing put in about 4 years ago. At that time three members of my family smoked. This has caused all the white sealant around the windows to go yellow. My family members have now all stopped smoking and i have tried several products to try to clean it but nothing seems to work.
Can anyone tell me how i can make my selant look white and fresh again

jackthelad
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Cleaning sealant round double glazed windows

by jackthelad » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:23 am

[quote="xAnn2002x"]I had double glazing put in about 4 years ago. At that time three members of my family smoked. This has caused all the white sealant around the windows to go yellow. My family members have now all stopped smoking and i have tried several products to try to clean it but nothing seems to work.
Can anyone tell me how i can make my sealant look white and fresh again[/quote]

You really have two choices.
1) Remove and replace the sealant.
2) Cover over the sealant with more.

To get a clean finish, use masking tape to follow the outline of the sealed areas and cover or replace the sealant with new appropriate filler. If you are just covering the old stuff, for a simple cosmetic finish you could use Decorators Filler which is cheap and all you need is a sealant gun, some masking tape, a black bin liner and a basin of warm soapy water to clean as you go.

Thoroughly clean and dry the window frames with degreasing cleaner and rinse off with hot water. Apply the sealant or Filler carefully with the sealant gun. Don't go mad with it. Smooth the surface with a tool for finishing sealant - or use your finger wetted with soapy water.

Once you have finished each window, carefully remove the masking tape and put it in the bin liner before it gets on the surrounding furniture, curtains or you. The tape will leave a straight line and give you a very professional finish.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:32 pm