closing off the hot water supply
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Latch
Labourer
Labourer

closing off the hot water supply

by Latch » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Can any help me i have a new sink to fit but can not find the hot water shut off, there is 2 large tanks in the loft feeding each other and one of them as a gate valve fitted it i close this will this stop the hot water supply, will the other tank just empty and will i have to bleed the sysytem back through urgent answer please.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:58 pm

You will possibly have a 'red-tap' gat valve next to your hot water cylinder in your airing cupboard. This gate valve will be on the pipe dpwn from the Cold water tank in the loft into the bottom of your cylinder.

If you dont have one of these, you simply need to find a way of stopping the cold water from the loft tank entering the bottom of your hot water cylinder. This, in turn, prevents hot water coming out the top of the cylinder.

No bleeding required. Just look for the gate valve or any other isolating valve on the leg of pipe described above.

If for some bizarre reason you have nothing you would have to drain down or bung the tank.... this is unlikely.

Paul2463
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Paul2463 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:05 pm

Hello, Having just had a plumber in to help me remove a shower so I can re-tile the en-suite, to close off the loft fed cold water and the hot water from the tank, he placed two bungs in the cold water header tank in the loft, in one corner of the tank was two outlets (approx 15mm) one was the feed to to the hot water tank and the other was the cold water feed, blocking these off and draining the remaining system of water (about a bucket full ) meant I could remove the shower safely and most importantly- staying dry

you may have the same system if Barrat built your house :roll:

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:05 pm