Cold outside wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cold outside wall

by sfrazi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:48 am

I have had a few condensation issues in the past with my exterior bedroom wall which is cold all the time.

I have a cavity wall but no cavity wall insulation as the companies that do this stated my home was unsuitable as there are bits of rubble in the cavity.

I am in the process of redecorating and thought this would time to address this problem hence I have been thinking of dry lining it with some insulation.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be most effective? Can I apply plasterboard straight onto the wall without hacking off the previous plaster as this doing that would be too messy? Would I use foil backed insulated plasterboard for this or is foil not acceptable as it would not allow the wall to breathe? Would it be better to apply battons onto the wall and plasterboard on top with insulation rolls in between?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Brickworkz
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Brickworkz » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Depending on the age of the building and type of plaster, you could use a breathable membrane, battens then foiled back plaster board. Maybe worth seeking advice from a builder etc prior to starting.

sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cold outside wall

by sfrazi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Thanks for the advise.

I am thinking about using the kingspan insulated plasterboards(as they more reasonably priced) along with dri wall adhesive and a few frame screws to make sure it doesnt fall off....is this ok to do?

Also would I require any other sort of plastic membrane in between the kingspan and wall or can it just go on the old plaster? and what would go in between any joins....some insulation or just tape?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

hack the plaster off,point the brickwork with sand/cement,wait until dry then paint the wall with a buitumin paint,this will stop the damp then use drywall adhesive to fix the insulated plasterboard.

sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sfrazi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:41 pm

I was under the impression that I could use the insulated pasterboards directly on the plaster as I do not get penetrating damp, simply condensation?

sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sfrazi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:50 am

Insulated boards are proving to be very expensive!!!!

I am thinking about using celotex ga4000 insulation boards instead.

Basically...

50mm insulation boards(included is a vapour control barrier) on the wall held together by treated battens and then plasterboard on top, as per instructions. Does anyone know what the difference is between that and battening the walls first and then putting the insulation boards on top and then plasterboards?

Does anyone know if this is ok with my walls i.e. cavity walls and straight on to plaster?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:12 am

a vapour barrier on the wall first??I have never done or seen it done.If you want to do the batten method the cheapest way is 50mmx50mm batten,then use 50mm drywall insulation,vapour barrier and then plasterboard,or paint the wall first with a buitumin paint instead of the vapour barrier

sfrazi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sfrazi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:29 pm

The insulated plasterboards are now up and skimmed. One final question, would it be an issue if I used vinyl wallpaper to decorate or do I need to stick to breathable paper/ paint? I ask this as there is a vapor barrier that has been created using the insulated plasterboards.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 am