Cold water supply to a cistern
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yrrab
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cold water supply to a cistern

by yrrab » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:08 pm

I have fitted a couple of toilets in the past. I have always connected the cold water supply via a brass tap connector. However I have just had a new WC delivered and the connection for fitting the cold supply is plastic. Is it OK to fit a metal tap connector to this plastic screw thread or is there a special fitting for this.
Also, I am fitting the toilet to a wooden floor. Is it better to fit the toilet to the wooden floor and tile around it or is it better to lay the tiles first and place the toilet on top of these. The floor tiles are made from porcelain.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 pm

evening
yes you should be ok with the metal connector i personaly use a flexible pipe connection
i would tile first then lay the wc on top
bob

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:53 pm

It'll be fine. I prefer to use a chromed tap connector with built in service valve. Looks nicer than brass. If the water supply rises from the floor I use chromed pipe as well.

Tile first loo after. That way if you ever want to change it you won't have to retile. Bear in mind if you're using porc that is a s..d to drill for the loo hold donw screws/bolts.

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 pm

Tile the floor first.

When fitting a metal tap connector consider two points. Firstly, don't overtighten it. Leave it on the loose side, and if it weeps, you can always nip it up.

Most importantly, the plastic cross treads very easily!!!! Hand fit and tighten the tap connector first. The nut should turn very easily so if you feel ANY resistance, stop and work out why. You can cross thread plastic by hand.

I try and fit the connector to the toilet first then connect the other end to the pipework second. Much safer.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am

"i personaly use a flexible pipe connection"

Oh!

yrrab
Apprentice
Apprentice

by yrrab » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks for all your replies. Rosebery, does the oh! in your answer suggest that you wouldn't use a flexible tap connector?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:26 pm

The only trouble with flexible connectors is they are always on show and look DIY. Thing is though, more and more stuff these days comes supplied with flexible tails, so I find I am using them more and more myself.

Incidentally, porcelain tiles you may know are VERY difficult to drill unless using a diamond drill so for ease, fix the toilet down with silicone and forget about using the screws.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:48 pm

"Thanks for all your replies. Rosebery, does the oh! in your answer suggest that you wouldn't use a flexible tap connector?"

Frankly yes. They dont look very nice and in my opinion, unprofessional. Others may have alternative opinions.

Cheers

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 pm