Combi or System Boiler and do we Need a Full Replumb?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

harburt
Apprentice
Apprentice

Combi or System Boiler and do we Need a Full Replumb?

by harburt » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi all

Not technically a DIY question but I'm desperately after some advice. We are installing a new bathroom and in doing so are looking to install a new boiler which may or may not require a full replumb. Having had several builders and plumbers round to advise and quote I'm left not knowing what to do.

The short version is that we need to reclaim the space currently occupied by the hot water cylinder as that is where the new bath will go. So my immediate thought would be to swap to a combi boiler (we currently have a system boiler). Add in the fact that we are relocating most of our radiators and most advice has been that we are best of going for the full replumb.

However I have also spoken to a plumber who says that in reality the pipework is probably fine and it's not a massive job to connect up to the new rads. He also said that we'd be better off getting a better system boiler as our pressure might be too low to get much joy from a combi, and that we could relocate the cylinder into the loft and then we could have pumps in the system to alleviate pressure issues.

The others have all suggested pressure might be a problem and some have suggested increasing the mains pipe (currently only 15mm). The property is a largeish 3 bedroom Victorian mid terrace.

At this point I'm fairly befuddled and only have a poor grasp on most of this stuff at best. Any thoughts, advice or suggestions would be amazing. Without sounding like a cheapskate, if I can avoid the full replumb, that would be great!

Many thanks

It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:47 pm