concrete fence posts
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
deleydeek
Labourer
Labourer

concrete fence posts

by deleydeek » Tue May 13, 2008 7:59 pm

Could anybody help please.

How much below soil level does postmix have to be and what is the legal height that i can go.

cheers

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed May 14, 2008 8:10 pm

D,

IN MY AREA OF THE COUNTRY, THE HEIGHT OF A FENCE IS LIMITED TO 2-METRES OR 6' 6" IN OLD MONEY.
ANY HIGHER AND PLANNING PERMISSION IS REQUIRED!

SO AN 8-FOOT POST WILL BE SUNK 1' 6" INTO HOLE AT LEAST TWICE AS WIDE AS THE POST AND SPACE BACK FILLED WITH THE POST MIX, TAMPED DOWN, SOAKED IN AND POST PLUMBED.

A.

Gruff McStumble
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gruff McStumble » Thu May 15, 2008 3:09 pm

I think concreate fence posts look a bit "council estate" dont you?

døugie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by døugie » Fri May 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Oh, I don't know, concrete is used in lots of places, not just by councils. I once saw concrete fence posts in the grounds of a stately home.

kevin17
Labourer
Labourer

Fence Post Height

by kevin17 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Just out of interest where is the 6 ft 6 ins measured from. The garden at the back has a raised patio area then there is a bit sunk by about a foot to take two filter chambers for a pond.
I take it I can make it 6' 6" from the patio area.

blademan
Labourer
Labourer

by blademan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:01 am

i have concrete post in my garden which i have put 6" exactly from my ground level not from any raised bits (shed base) which i also have i have 8" posts which are 2" foot in the ground and 2" gravel boards between each post i did a wet mix of concrete for the holes and covered with plastic untill set but i put the fence panels in on the gravel boards as i was going dont try to slide them in after from the top this is more difficult only the last one you have to do this

scottglider
Labourer
Labourer

by scottglider » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:57 pm

[quote="ALDA"]D,

IN MY AREA OF THE COUNTRY, THE HEIGHT OF A FENCE IS LIMITED TO 2-METRES OR 6' 6" IN OLD MONEY.
ANY HIGHER AND PLANNING PERMISSION IS REQUIRED!

SO AN 8-FOOT POST WILL BE SUNK 1' 6" INTO HOLE AT LEAST TWICE AS WIDE AS THE POST AND SPACE BACK FILLED WITH THE POST MIX, TAMPED DOWN, SOAKED IN AND POST PLUMBED.

A.[/quote] Hi, my neighbour has just erected a new fence using concrete posts. Looks OK however, I'm concerned the posts aren't deep enough? They are 8' posts, set 18" deep. The panel are 6'. This leaves 6" of post proud of the top of the panel. Also their is a hole in the post just clear of the top of the panel. What is this for, I'm guessing it may be for a secure bolt or something to stop the panels from being raised? If this is true then the posts must be at the right depth.
Explanations would be much appreciated as it really bugs me every time I look at it, I things done properly. :?

750dave
Labourer
Labourer

by 750dave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:37 pm

The hole At the top of a concrete fence post is usually used for a wire tie to support the top wire in a chain link fence, tho I have seen said top wire fed thrugh these holes but that seems rather a laborious way of going about it

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm