Concrete Floor Meets Flagstones...Help Appreciated
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

danfi
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete Floor Meets Flagstones...Help Appreciated

by danfi » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:52 am

Hi all,

Have some idea of how to proceed but I'd welcome some input from others and hopefully I'll get the best solution.

Context; the rear extension of my house is pretty old. One third of it was internal living space and served as a utility room. It has a concrete floor with no visible DPM I suspect due to it's age. Looks in OK condition and I have no damp issues.

The other two thirds was an outdoor coal shed and I have knocked down the partition wall to make a nice large utility area. I'm now at the stage where I need to make the uneven flagstones that are laid on bare earth meet my concrete as I really don't fancy digging up the existing concrete to relay one full slab. I can if I really have to but its a lot of work I could do without.

My current thoughts is to remove any small fragmented loose stones, fill the area with small batches of concrete and then use a latex screed to bring it level. I might need to fill bits here and there and try and get the level of the flags to within 25-30mm of the concrete and then I can screed. I will be installing underfloor heating so any damp I am not aware of (been here 3 years) should be kept at bay by that worse case.

Any input would be appreciated as I've not had to do this before. Photo attached,

Thanks,

Dan.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-20 at 06.39.04 (2).jpeg

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:58 pm