Information, help and advice on all areas of landscaping and land design

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wookie87
Labourer
Labourer

Concrete slab and brick steps need work

by Wookie87 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi all,

The steps in my backyard is made of bricks and concrete paving slabs (see photo).

Two of the slabs have split by simply stepping on them, which revealed that they are not properly supported (Can be seen on the photo)

Screenshot_2.jpg

Under other slabs I was able to lift, some have soil under them, some have bits of brick, overall nowhere near enough support for the whole span of the slabs so I want to do what I can to make the steps safe.

My plans is to
1. Lift all the slabs, breaking the grout connecting them to the bricks (Most are crumbling anyway)
2. Chisel out any remaining grout on the slabs and on the bricks so I have have clean surfaces when use fresh grout later.
2. Fill the voids with something (I need advice on this? What I should use? Grade 1? Ballast? Gravel?
3. Put slabs back on, fresh grout between slab and bricks and between slabs.

I need advice on what to fill the gaps with, ideally something that will not put a lateral load on the bricks, as these are already in a poor state. Any other advice on my plan? Am I missing anything?

Regards
W

P.S If this post belongs in a different sub-forum, do let me know.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Concrete slab and brick steps need work

by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:25 pm

Hi wookie87
Suggest you bed the slabs on 50-75mm thick weak sharp sand /cement mix. You can increase the cement in the mix for grouting.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:41 am