Condensation and rising damp
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
louise62
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation and rising damp

by louise62 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:38 am

I would be really grateful for any advice regarding ?rising damp and condensation.

We live in a Victorian house and the wall underneath thedownstairs bay window is apparently saturated. We have been advised by a "Damp Proof Company" that the area outside is too high - this needs to be lowered and a new damp proof course installed. We have been advised that this can be done from the outside to avoid disruption but I thought this was best carried out on the inside of the property. Is this correct?

The other problem with have is condensation in various rooms, the worst affected being our bedroom. We have removed a wardrobe from the outside wall as this was making the mould much worse and I am now in the process of redecorating.

Is there a particular product I can use to treat the mould and prevent it returning, and is there a product that can be used on the adjoining (cold) wall to get rid of the crystal salts.

I appreciate the need to remove the overall humidity of the house and are in the process of having extractor fans installed in the bedroom and kitchen.

I am at the end of my tether with all this. I would be so grateful for your help.

Thank you,

Louise62

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

damp

by welsh brickie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:19 pm

try removing the soil from the bay window first,At least 6inches and 2 bricks below floor level.Let the wall dryout,Then if the problem still exists consider dpc injection.
With the bedroom damp, you need to create ventilation by installing air vents in the wall where the damp is,and leave the window slightly ajar or have trickle vents installed in the windows.for mould removal use neat bleach

louise62
Labourer
Labourer

Re: damp

by louise62 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 am

welsh brickie wrote:try removing the soil from the bay window first,At least 6inches and 2 bricks below floor level.Let the wall dryout,Then if the problem still exists consider dpc injection.
With the bedroom damp, you need to create ventilation by installing air vents in the wall where the damp is,and leave the window slightly ajar or have trickle vents installed in the windows.for mould removal use neat bleach

Thank you so much. Can I just ask one more thing? Is it possible to carry out a DPC from outside the property, or should it really be done from the inside?

Thanks again,

Louise62

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:22 pm