Condensation in bathroom- black ceiling
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rach_T
Labourer
Labourer

by Rach_T » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:49 pm

I seem to have a bad problem with condensation in my bathroom. I need to clean my ceiling about every 2-4 weeks as it turns black. I also get this in between some tiles. The bathroom is all tiled. I thought the problem was with my extractor fan but Ive replaced this and im still having the same problems. I also have a wall vent and open windows often. Any suggestions???

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:51 pm

Condensation is always caused by a drop in temperature.
Using a shower or running a bath always push up the temperature.
Once you finish washing the temperature drops and the water vapor condenses onto the nearest cold surface.
In this situation you need to run a bathroom extractor fan all the time you are washing and for about 20 minutes afterwards, to lose the humidity into the garden.
Obviously, keeping the room warm all the time makes for a pleasant and comfortable shower and keeps the mould away.
The extractor fan should be fitted above the top of the door level, as close to the ceiling as possible. I have a fan with a heat exchanger this solves the problem caused by the fan pulling cold air in from outside, not nice, and pulling air from indoors that you have already paid to heat.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:02 am