Condensation mould behind wardrobes
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RichKi
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation mould behind wardrobes

by RichKi » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with mould growing up the back of my wardrobe and would really appreciate some advice as it seems it maybe the cause of my recent breathing difficulties during the night.

Basically, I have a double wardrobe stood in the corner of my upstairs bedroom in my 1900's end terraced house. It's standing in the corner of the two external walls and I'm convinced the mould is due to condensation and bad air flow. It makes sense that warm air from the room is hitting the cold external walls and condensing - hence the growth of mould.

What I'm really looking for is a way of stopping this. Moving the wardrobe isn't really an option due to the way the room is laid out.

Would installing a breather brick behind the wardrobe solve the issue? I'm worried the bedroom would just have cold air flooding in all the time then though.

I hope someone can help :D

Many thanks

izzyc
Labourer
Labourer

by izzyc » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:57 am

Hi there - no answer i'm afraid - we had the same problem this summer in our basement flat with all my clothes growing a green + yellow mould. I cleared it out and treated the wardrobe with anti-damp liquid, but the smell is returning + my boyfriend continues to suffer from a bad chest, as has my sister when she stays. We are trying a dehumidifier this weekend.

lazens
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mouldy wardrobes and cupboards

by lazens » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:49 pm

If it makes you feel any better weve the same problem.For some reason the mould and damp seem to have a field day in the backs of wall cupboards and wardrobes.Additionally we found moths had munched their way through half a new pair of my favourite trousers!Many clothes that had been touching the wall were a write off.Leather shoes were covered in white mould and sodden.We gave up emptied all the cupboards and wardrobe and sealed the empty space shut tight with the wooden door.Then we hired a comfortable dry temperature balanced storage space at a large national storage company for about ??15 extra a week.That storage space is like an art gallery.Its always dry warm well lit and comfortable as well as secure.Its drier than the apartment on which we pay rent.There might be some slight natural ageing on garment stored
over a year but nothing like the ruination before.Books and paper too just warped and went mouldy in the cupboard.the walls were actually like a cave inside with wet there all the time.....
the place was obviously "Jerry built".
________
Vapir Air One Vaporizer
Last edited by lazens on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcmoore
Ganger
Ganger

FREE ADVICE

by dcmoore » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Take a look at any one of our damp projects and ring the phone number for Property Repair Systems. They give free, no obligation advice and we recommend them. They will tell you what you need to do (if anything) and will also be able to supply you with anything you need to do it with but will certainly not try to sell you anything you don't need

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:49 am