Condensation on aluminium window frames
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gonzo
Labourer
Labourer

Condensation on aluminium window frames

by gonzo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I have some double glazed, aluminium framed windows in my flat that are a source of many headaches due to the issues they cause with condensation. I believe the frames have some form of cavity construction but the internal metal surfaces get very cold and this results in large build-ups of condensation on these internal surfaces (which then runs onto the surfaces/carpets below). I'd love to replace the windows for UPVC units but the special circumstances of my flat means that replacement is not an option. I'm at my wits end as to what I can do to solve this issue. I was wondering if there's anyway of injecting some form of insulating material into the cavity of the framework to help or any paintable covering that could coat the painted metal but I don't even know if this would be effective. I appreciate the general advice of good ventilation and possible use of dehumidifiers, but this doesn't overcome the route problem which is the cold metal. Does anybody have any advice for me please??

Yours hopefully!!!!
Andy

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:12 pm

You can control condensation in a number of ways.
Condensation is caused when warm wet air meets a cold surface.
Therefore, you can let the temperature indoors drop to that where the air indoors is the same as outside.
You can open the window and let the water vapour out.
You can heat the window frames to the same temperature as the air in the room.
You can use a de humidifier to take the water vapour out of the air.
You can stop making water vapour.
The cheapest most comfortable option is to stop making water vapour by life style change.
Water vapour comes from washing, cooking, breathing, sweating drying things on radiators.
In the normal way keeping the kitchen and bathroom doors closed helps a lot.
Opening a window to let the water vapour out while cooking or after washing helps.
Using extractor fans in the kitchen and bathroom works.

ronecc
Labourer
Labourer

by ronecc » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi. Sorry to say there is not a lot you can do with condensation on aluminium windows. I have thermal break aluminium and they still get condensation on them, not as bad as plain aluminium. It is because the metal gets so cold that the water vapour condenses on it. I have even had condensation on upvc frames. The warmer the house, the more water the air holds. The permutations are endless, so just keep mopping up, sorry

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 am