condensing boiler flue
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

condensing boiler flue

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:13 pm

recently installed a brand new heating system in my house - thanks in no small part to contributors on this site - thanks!!

the boiler is a worcester bosch 28i greenstar junior which i bought but had fitted by a qualified engineer.

the problem is that i situated it in the spare bedroom, on a party wall shared with my neighbour. consequently the flue is very close to their bedroom window (i think you know where i'm going with this!)

i've checked the regulations and the boiler and flue are perfectly legal and compliant in every respect re. positioning in relation to windows, doors, soffits, property boundaries etc. however my neighbour is complaining about the plume that wafts past her window. i've assured her that the plume is almost entirely water vapour but i'd like to remedy the problem in the interests of good neighbourliness.

so, my question is, can i fix an upright extension to the flue vertically and externally that will vent the plume above the roof line (i'm thinking roughly a foot above the gutter). hopefully this will direct the plume well away from their window.

i've looked at the angled cowlings that attach to the flue but i think that these will be totally ineffective when there is even a slight breeze in the wrong direction - recent weather has shown this.

also, and i hope it doesn't come to it, but is there any chance that she could legally force us to relocate the boiler, bearing in mind that it complies with all current regulations re. siting?

any advice would be gratefully received!

chris

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:08 pm

You can't take a flue horizontally then vertical with a roof terminal, the flue length would be too long.

Can you not take the flue up through the roof ? a vertical flue direct from the boiler ? this will cost as the roof terminals aren't cheap.

'also, and i hope it doesn't come to it, but is there any chance that she could legally force us to relocate the boiler, bearing in mind that it complies with all current regulations re. siting?'

If the installation is legal, and it was a CORGI engineer that fitted it - i cant see your neighbour having any legal claims.

Does her window open ? is there a chance fumes could enter her property ?

gremlin_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gremlin_1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:15 pm

There is a plume manegment kit supplied by worcester. This fits on the end of exaust and extend flue verticaly.
Your neighbour could insist on you rerouting your flue :cry:

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:11 pm