DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Confused by this bulb fitting and how to indentify it

Postby sehmsehm » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:22 pm

Can anyone help me figure out what kind of bulb goes in this fitting? I've moved into a new place and there was no bulb here to start so have no reference point and my research hasn't uncovered anything helpful...
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:16 pm

Called a G9 it is a quartz 230 volt bulb with no protection on the bulb its self, so there is normally a glass enclosure to retain the white hot bits should the bulb break and stop harmful rays.

There are LED versions of the bulb [attachment=0]G9-comp.jpg[/attachment] the smaller version allows the use of the glass cover, but they have problems when used with electronic switches, the larger version you can't use the glass cover but they are often brighter and don't have the flicker when switched on or flashing when switched off found with the smaller version when used with electronic switches.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2638
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics