Confusion from Tradesmen over Penetrating Damp Issues
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eden
Labourer
Labourer

Confusion from Tradesmen over Penetrating Damp Issues

by eden » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:47 pm

I have a Victorian 1870 terrace house that for 20 plus years had a lean-to on the side return. This fell down 2 years ago and this past year I have had patches of penetrating damp in various patches all over of the now-exposed external wall. The exterior has a textured paint on and all looks sound.

One trader who came to inspect and quote says the internal wall needs stripping and tanking floor to ceiling. Another says it must be tackled from the exterior and wall covered with a sealant to stop rain penetrating. How do I know which way to go? Is it worth paying for a proper damp survey at this point? I'm reading on the internet that neither are suitable for an old house.

There is an air brick that is filled in from the inside but open to the outside and seem to be producing a large area of damp. The floor is concrete in the kitchen so can it safely be filled in?

thedoctor

Re: Confusion from Tradesmen over Penetrating Damp Issues

by thedoctor » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi

I'm not sure if you have seen but we do have numerous projects on damp and solving damp issues that may be worth a read through for some further insight: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/diy-how-to-type/damp.htm

Failing that it might be worth a call to Property Repair Solutions that feature on a lot of our damp projects. We have worked together with them for many years and they have vast knowledge in all fields of damp and damp issue solutions. You can call them on 01626 336180 - no obligations

Kind Regards

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm