Confusion on Intermediate Setup With Installing a Smart Module
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Briski2020
Labourer
Labourer

Confusion on Intermediate Setup With Installing a Smart Module

by Briski2020 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 am

Hi would like to install one of these to my hallway to remotely switch the lights on and off

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOES-Switch-Br ... 111&sr=8-9

Is this the correct one needed?

However I'm at a loss at where this needs to be installed , Im competent normally at such things electrical, but this Im at a loss it looks like I have 2 2gang switches and a intermediate. Im guessing the module needs to be installed in the first switch.
I've attached a picture of the first switch.

Any advice on how to wire this would be greatly appreciated. Im not sure how the wires I have tally up with the module

Thanks in advance
Attachments
first switch.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Confusion on Intermediate Setup With Installing a Smart Module

by Mr White » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 pm

That unit can not replace your switch.
It clearly shows that it requires a neutral, which 99% of installations do not have at the switch. (Including yours)
Even if you did have a neutral it would still be of no use since it can not "two way" switch.

If you want "smart lights" get a "smart lamp" such as the philips hue, or similar, as these can be dimmed as well as controlled by "Alexa"

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Confusion on Intermediate Setup With Installing a Smart Module

by ericmark » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:36 am

The "Smart" light which I have would work, but not cheap, you need to swap both switches and you have a master and slave unit plus a hub, so MiHome Energenie Code MIHO043 is a pair of switches, so £35 for pair of switches and £48 for hub if you want to connect to phone, tablet or PC.

And then you need to use one of the recommended bulbs, it uses dimmable bulbs as they should allow the small amount of power to flow through the bulb to work the switch, with BA22d and E14 bulbs they have worked well, but with GU10 some times there is a flicker, and with G9 had to add a capacitor as well or bulb flashed, and again they some times flicker. I have 5, 3 have been no problem, 2 causes problems, all down to bulbs used.

Basic fact, electronics need power to work, and wifi needs more power than other wireless so wifi comes from hub not switch so less power needed in switch, so although there are units which don't need a neutral they are not as good as those which use a neutral and cost a lot more.

Also watch Santander Stan advert it is what actually does happen, we may laugh but it is what at least my Nest Mini tends to do, say hay google switch off radio 4, and it replies switching off 5 switches and your lights go out, we got 5 for Christmas as our radio reception is near non existent, it is like having 5 young children, "I don't know how to do that yet." is a common reply, in some ways good it has not worked out how to change heating levels, it can tell me what rooms are set at, but lucky not worked out how to change them.

So yesterday had phone call at work from wife, tumble drier will not work, can you switch it on, she has given up with hello google, now it's hello Eric and I have to get out phone and switch sockets back on.

She has found the broadcast command, so it's hello Eric make some coffee, believe me, these units are not labour saving for man of the house, one for the woman.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:38 pm