Connecting Ring Floodlight Cam to Standard Socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peter678
Labourer
Labourer

Connecting Ring Floodlight Cam to Standard Socket

Post by peter678 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and seeking some advice please.

I am considering buying a Ring Floodlight Camera (link below), but don't have an existing external light fixture/power.

To get this set-up, would it be as simple as connecting the light fixture wiring to an extension cable, with a standard plug on the end? I'm planning to drill a hole through the wall to to the outside of the property, feed the wire through and plug internally (ensuring) there is a good seal around the wiring entering the property.

The reviews/instructions that I have found seem to suggest requiring a junction box, but those are U.S installs so not sure if that is still required...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Floodligh ... B074G9DPXD

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Connecting Ring Floodlight Cam to Standard Socket

Post by Mr White » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 pm

I have never seen physically seen the device in question, but if it has a rear entry which is suitable I see no reason you can not do as you suggest, I would however point out that it is overly priced and you can get a CCTV camera and a digital video recorder for less that the item in question, I would also point out that you should be aware its not like the TV ad. Once movement is detected, yes it "calls" your phone, but where is your phone? you have to find it and answer it, which takes time by which time the person has gone, you don't do that with a CCTV camera.

peter678
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Connecting Ring Floodlight Cam to Standard Socket

Post by peter678 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:54 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate what you're saying.

I'll certainly do a bit more research and consider other options before buying, the main benefit of the Ring system was a combined light flood light and camera.

Thanks again for your reply and advice.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:10 pm