Conservatory Roof Insulation for Conservatory That's too hot or too Cold
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lokyt
Labourer
Labourer

Conservatory Roof Insulation for Conservatory That's too hot or too Cold

by lokyt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Hi all,

I’m after some advise. We bought a house a year ago which has 15m2 conservatory. All glass, with large wall on one side and small wall on the other. It’s very lovey but we simply can’t use it much. Typical problem for a conservatory, too cold or too hot.

So, I’m thinking about insulating the roof and make it a bit more all year round space.

Now, I have been reading about pros and cons and one thing I’m worried about is decreasing the value of the property. From what I read, it will block all the light coming into the room behind the conservatory hence lower value. Surely having a nice and warm conservatory is much better then hot/cold room which is really useless.

Building a proper extension is not an option as it will cost way too much!!!

Has anyone come across this before?

Is it really worth spending few hundred pounds or better to rave it as is ie completely unusable space?

Any advice would be appropriated.

Thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Conservatory Roof Insulation for Conservatory That's too hot or too Cold

by collectors » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am

I would look at some good thermal blinds/curtains.

lokyt
Labourer
Labourer

by lokyt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. I looked into it and read it will help but won’t be as good and efficient as roof insulation.

I just can’t see how making unusable space usable again could effect house valuation?!

F1stHomeImprovements
Labourer
Labourer

by F1stHomeImprovements » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:21 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately insulating a conservatory is harder than you think especially with older models as throughout their lifespan you will get issues relating to warping and glazing can age badly. You are on the right lines with replacing the roof, but you might want to think about replacing the roof with a solid roof or Ultraframe offer roof with lanterns that will let light in too.

Or if like me you don't have the funds, look at installing an electric heater, you don't need planning permission for that!

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 am

One strange thing about blinds is the heat they can generate. On my large side window & patio doors i have to remember to open the blinds because if i leave them closed they get quite hot with the sun on them. "Even in the winter" Unfortunately, this is a problem in the summer as my lounge is quite often in the 80s. So, there is pro's & con's to blinds.
Oh! my blinds are made of some sort of cloth & plastic.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am