Conservatory Roof Material to Reduce Heat Loss and Too Much Generate Heat
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lindricklad
Labourer
Labourer

Conservatory Roof Material to Reduce Heat Loss and Too Much Generate Heat

by Lindricklad » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:28 pm

I plan to upgrade and extend my bungalow this year and this will include a new conservatory. Since this will be south facing I am rather concerned about the heat generated in there (and also restricting the heat loss at other times !).
Currently the bungalow roof is of a 'pyramid' shape but needs retiling, so I intend to add a new apex shape at the rear of the property to which the conservatory will be attached.
A further complication is that the conservatory will sit in front of a small sitting room, so I need to provide sufficient light to that room.
I plan to provide the conservatory with a gable end of glass and I am considering the feasibility of using metal or wooden tiles for the roof, rather than glass - although I may well include glass portals on either side of the apex roof to help illuminate the sitting room.
Any thoughts/comments/advice would be much appreciated, particularly from anyone who has installed a tiled structure.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Conservatory Roof Material to Reduce Heat Loss and Too Much Generate Heat

by welsh brickie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:51 am

instead of tiling the roof try Pilkington active glass, its high efficient glass that reacts to the environment, so its cool in the summer and retains heat in the summer, Used it many times its very impressive

Pheiffer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Conservatory Roof Material to Reduce Heat Loss and Too Much Generate Heat

by Pheiffer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi, If you plan on installing a non-glass roof onto the conservatory it will require building regulations approval, meaning the walls floors and roof must all comply with the structural and thermal performance requirements set out by the LABC, on the plus side if you comply with the regs then you might as well knock through the wall where the sitting room is and incorporate the 2 rooms into 1!?
Im not sure I appreciate the entirety of your plans but I would also note that you may as well install a Edwardian conservatory with a pyramid config for the roof and then use a box gutter detail to the facia of the house then you wont need the apex or roof alterations? just a thought. Conservatory Club Chippenham.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm