Consumer unit for shed/summerhouse
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jak68
Apprentice
Apprentice

Consumer unit for shed/summerhouse

by Jak68 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:51 am

Hi, I am looking for some advice.

I will be building a summerhouse in a couple of months and want to run electricity to it, I currently have a shed with electricity but I need to change the consumer unit and wanted to see what would be the best size to buy as I want to start buying things now.
From the consumer unit I would be running a chest freezer and a tumble dryer and a light and in the summerhouse probably 3 or 4 double sockets (will probably use an electric heater for now) and a light.
Thanks in advance

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Consumer unit for shed/summerhouse

by ericmark » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Up to 13 amp you can use a fused connection unit (FCU) but over 13 amp and you need to come from the consumer unit to a second consumer unit and it opens up a whole can of worms.

So the circuit if not using a FCU will be new, and if a new circuit then it needs notifying, also new CU needs notifying, you can DIY and inform the LABC before you start, which then alerts them of the buildings existence and raises the question do you need to have planning permission or pay council tax? Not sure that is a good idea?

So other option is to use a scheme member electrician who can self certify so it is unlikely to ring alarm bells with the council.

So the big question under or over 13 amp?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Consumer unit for shed/summerhouse

by Mr White » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Sadly it is not just a case of "change the consumers unit"
You need to establish (As previously asked) how much current will be drawn in the summer house AND the shed. This is because you will probably have to upgrade the cable that is supplying the shed, if you want to supply the summerhouse too.
It would be like trying to send motorway traffic down a single lane, it's not big enough to cope.
I would suggest you get in touch with a local (To you) electrician and ask him to visit site to discuss your requirements and watch his eyes light up when you say you will run the cable for the summer house.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:40 pm