consumer unit height
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sandancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

consumer unit height

by sandancer » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:02 pm

According to 17th ed., consumer units have to be no higher than 1.2 m above floor level.Does this apply in a location ie a domestic garage where at that height it would be vulnerable to mechanical damage ie. car doors lawnmowers etc.Is there any way round this, as fitting it anywhere else is not an option?

regards SD

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Where does it say that? I have done a search for 1.2 m and consumer unit neither with any results. However
"553.1.6 A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug."
Seems to say you can place it out of harms way. Are you sure it is not Part M rather than 17th Edition you got height restriction from?
If so type of building will make a huge difference. There are minimum heights for unlocked boxes in public places (2.5 m) and minimum heights for lights outside (2.8 m) without protection and socket height outside 0.5 to 1.5 m (caravan sites) even that is allowed to be higher in areas likely to flood or have heavy snow.
Eric

sandancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sandancer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:10 pm

[quote="ericmark"]Where does it say that? I have done a search for 1.2 m and consumer unit neither with any results. However
"553.1.6 A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug."
Seems to say you can place it out of harms way. Are you sure it is not Part M rather than 17th Edition you got height restriction from?
If so type of building will make a huge difference. There are minimum heights for unlocked boxes in public places (2.5 m) and minimum heights for lights outside (2.8 m) without protection and socket height outside 0.5 to 1.5 m (caravan sites) even that is allowed to be higher in areas likely to flood or have heavy snow.
Eric[/quote] Hello Eric. Thanks for your prompt reply. You are correct,that info came from part M of the building regs. which i got from a Hager site, brewtime.co.uk Product and Pics2447.pdf But how come that info from part M differs from 17th Edition? I'm confused. Regards

SD. :?:

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Part M varies according to building use. You will see in projects section links to Part P if you follow those links you will find full Part M. One has to be careful as easy to read non domestic in error. It gives height for switches but MCB's are not switches and isolators are not switches so it does not really cover a consumer unit.
Having said that you do need some common sense. My mother is wheel chair dependent and if the MCB's or RCD under the stairs trips she can not gain access.
However if I was to remove the door and provide her with a stick she could and if my Dad was unable also to re-set trips that is what I would do.
But it is not likely to need access by a visitor to the house. Also do you think it is safe if young children can turn off all the lights etc? If it can't be locked then I would say mounting high was a safety feature.
Eric

sandancer
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sandancer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:32 am

[quote="ericmark"]Part M varies according to building use. You will see in projects section links to Part P if you follow those links you will find full Part M. One has to be careful as easy to read non domestic in error. It gives height for switches but MCB's are not switches and isolators are not switches so it does not really cover a consumer unit.
Having said that you do need some common sense. My mother is wheel chair dependent and if the MCB's or RCD under the stairs trips she can not gain access.
However if I was to remove the door and provide her with a stick she could and if my Dad was unable also to re-set trips that is what I would do.
But it is not likely to need access by a visitor to the house. Also do you think it is safe if young children can turn off all the lights etc? If it can't be locked then I would say mounting high was a safety feature.
Eric[/quote] Thanks again for your prompr reply Eric. My sentiments entirely but just thought that I would check

Regards S.D.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:19 pm