DIY Doctor

Main navigation

consumer unit

Postby jim7911 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:19 pm

prior to changing the consumer unit, what authority do I need to pull the main incoming fuse 100A, and is it a case of just breaking the seal and removing the fuse
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:08 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:43 am

Simply you can't.
Either you ask for an isolator
Or you have supply disconnected and then reconnected which is likely to be days rather than hours apart.
Or you provide a new consumer unit and tails and ask them to transfer power.
Because of the rules and regulations they are not permitted to give you permission to draw fuse. I know many electricians do but they are breaking the regulations by doing so. Normally if the house holder then tells the supply authority the seal has been broken they will come and re-seal with out too much hassle but that is up to the discretion of the supply authority and they can start proceedings and or remove supply.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics