DIY Doctor

consumer unit

Postby pc6844 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 am

Hi, i have an old standard type wylex consumer unit the one with the pull out fuses fixed into the exterior wall. More or less directly behind it on the outside is the electric meter. The cold draft on the inside of my house from the consumer unit is unbelievable and i wondered if i can insulate the holes from the cable routes from the meter to the consumer unit with expanding foam or insulation?

Many thanks
Rank: Tradesman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:39 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 pm

I have seen a similar question asked and the answer given that seemed best was to fit a cupboard around it.

I said with that post to do anything which could cause the cables to overheat would of course be dangerous. If some one with knowledge could inspect it they may say that form filler is OK but needs to be seen first.

Tails for a 100A supply are normally around 25mm CSA but with old houses I have found down to 6mm CSA and pictures don't help in identifying. It would be dangerous if the cables were under size as well.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics