consumer unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pc6844
Tradesman
Tradesman

consumer unit

by pc6844 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:01 am

Hi, i have an old standard type wylex consumer unit the one with the pull out fuses fixed into the exterior wall. More or less directly behind it on the outside is the electric meter. The cold draft on the inside of my house from the consumer unit is unbelievable and i wondered if i can insulate the holes from the cable routes from the meter to the consumer unit with expanding foam or insulation?

Many thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 pm

I have seen a similar question asked and the answer given that seemed best was to fit a cupboard around it.

I said with that post to do anything which could cause the cables to overheat would of course be dangerous. If some one with knowledge could inspect it they may say that form filler is OK but needs to be seen first.

Tails for a 100A supply are normally around 25mm CSA but with old houses I have found down to 6mm CSA and pictures don't help in identifying. It would be dangerous if the cables were under size as well.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:49 am