Consumer Unit Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trust issues
Labourer
Labourer

Consumer Unit Wiring

by trust issues » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi to all,

My house has the old style fuse board after the electricity meter and it's time to update it to a new RCD consumer unit. I'm not a "qualified" electrician but I've done my reading up on this and I am very electrically educated. I've got my 17th edition and plan to do this to a professional standard and to all the regs.

My plan is to place the new consumer unit in the kitchen, away from the meter which is in the near-by garage. I plan to link the two using 25mm 3 core armoured cable and adding an isolator after the meter.

Logically, I don't think it's a good idea to place the consumer unit near any water pipes but there are pipes near to the position I have in mind, that being said I haven't seen any regs against this in the 17th.

Once thats all connected, I will be making a call to the "electric board" asking them to open up the meter and do the final connecting.

Thats the plan, is there anything anyone can see wrong with this or any suggestions?

Thank you.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:10 am

Your idea seems OK, But the charges that local councils make are silly and not sure its worth while to DIY. You need to do a lot of work to make it worth while. If all part of a full rewire then OK. My neighbour wanted me to do some work for him but by time the council get their wack just not worth it.
Eric

trust issues
Labourer
Labourer

by trust issues » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:19 am

Thanks for the reply,

I had foolishly hoped the local council charges would be inline with the simple task I was asking them to do :lol:

I have no problem cutting the seals and having a look myself to evaluate doing the work, the reason I haven't done this already is I guessed when the electric service provider comes round to read the meter and notices the seals cut, they'll either give us a larger bill or question me tampering with their equipment. Do you think this would be the case?

Secondly, Have I missed any regs in regards to placing the Consumer unit near to water pipes? Is there a minimum seperation distance etc?

Thanks.

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:54 pm

522.3.1 covers condensation etc. But some common sense as well mounting the supply to boiler underneath the boiler may not break regulations but is still silly as you know any plumber is likely to have some spillage.
As to seals the supply authority is unable to give you permission to break seals and their attitude to broken seals is not a constant sometimes they say nothing other times they go for the throat asking for an isolator is correct way.
I has really caused problems at times when they arrange for a change over date then arrive early and the house holder seems to think we can drop everything and do their work.
Council is also a problem if they fail anything they can charge again and it can be a careful question to council first and save pounds it's not what is correct it is what they will accept.
A degree in electrical engineering has nothing to do with domestic electrics but the building inspector does not seem to know that! So he normally accepts my word but in my area they are very lax and even the council has to be watched over not issuing completion certs.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 pm