DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Consumer units and Part P Regs

Postby teliow » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44 am

Can anyone tell me if a second consumer unit fitted after the primary is subject to Part P under the current wiring regulations.

I want to fit a second distribution unit fed from the primary to supply a new ring main.

Thank you

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:41 pm


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 pm

Any new circuits will come under part p, and adding additional CU will too, very little can be done as far as electrical installation is concern without it being covered by part p. This will also require Installation Certificates.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby ericmark » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:06 pm

A new circuit from the consumer unit needs notifying under Part P.
The wiring regulations and Part P are separate documents.
As far as trying to twist the wording to suit what you want should anything go wrong it would be up to the courts to decide. In the past the courts have looked at what was intended not actual wording so you would not win.
Also there is the problem of insurance and selling the property later.
So to be legal the work will need registering.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics