DIY Doctor

Convert CH towel radiator?

Postby wsimp71 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Guys,

I have an old house with no Central Heating (yes winter is a nightmare), but has CH pipes as it had heating at some stage, but was vandalised before I bought it and a lot of the pipes were pinched. We have renovated the bathroom and installed a CH towel radiator with a view to getting CH in before next winter.

Being a typical woman I have changed my mind and decided that I think I would prefer an electrically heated towel radiator instead. The fitting is not a problem as we have half the wall down in the adjoining bedroom.

My question is, is it possible to convert the current CH towel rad to an electric one only? I have seen the elements in b & q and wondered if it was legal / posisble?

Thanks for any advice : )
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:07 pm


Simply Build It

Postby rosebery » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Normally electric only towel warmers are oil filled. I would not have thought it possible to convert a water one to an oil one.

You can fit dual fuel towel warmers these days. They have an electric element which screws into the warmer through the valve body but without interrupting the water flow.

Personally I think I'd suggest you go for a replacement oil filled rad. Whicjhever the bathroom being a special location under Part P of Bldg Regs you will need an electrician to fit it.

Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2022
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics