Convert CH towel radiator?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wsimp71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Convert CH towel radiator?

Post by wsimp71 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:55 am

Hi Guys,

I have an old house with no Central Heating (yes winter is a nightmare), but has CH pipes as it had heating at some stage, but was vandalised before I bought it and a lot of the pipes were pinched. We have renovated the bathroom and installed a CH towel radiator with a view to getting CH in before next winter.

Being a typical woman I have changed my mind and decided that I think I would prefer an electrically heated towel radiator instead. The fitting is not a problem as we have half the wall down in the adjoining bedroom.

My question is, is it possible to convert the current CH towel rad to an electric one only? I have seen the elements in b & q and wondered if it was legal / posisble?

Thanks for any advice : )

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Normally electric only towel warmers are oil filled. I would not have thought it possible to convert a water one to an oil one.

You can fit dual fuel towel warmers these days. They have an electric element which screws into the warmer through the valve body but without interrupting the water flow.

Personally I think I'd suggest you go for a replacement oil filled rad. Whicjhever the bathroom being a special location under Part P of Bldg Regs you will need an electrician to fit it.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1