DIY Doctor

Cooker Circuit

Postby dadooq » Sat May 22, 2010 1:33 am

My kitchen has a cooker circuit, but I no longer have an electric cooker. Is it ok to connect the cooker circuit to a 2 gang socket - to be used with dishwasher and gas cooker - both with fused plugs.

Also, if i change to an electric oven that has a 13 amp plug can I simply plug this into the socket currently used by the gas cooker?

Is it legally ok for a diy-er to do this work?
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 1:25 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun May 23, 2010 10:52 am

I'll start with last bit first. Under Part P a DIY person has to inform the LABC and pay a fee which was in Wales £100 +vat. However new rules this year have altered price structure and I don't know charges now.

It was always more expensive to do small jobs as DIY in kitchens and bathrooms but this may have changed.

At the same time the LABC can now charge for inspection and testing so you do really need to be able to inspect and test yourself.

The work is rather simple and I would consider it is not worth the hassle of DIY and far easier and likely cheaper to get a scheme member electrician to do the work.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2497
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics