Cooker radial.Terminations
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sparkydelux
Tradesman
Tradesman

Cooker radial.Terminations

by Sparkydelux » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:34 pm

Hi

I'm running a feed (microwave oven+steamer +conventional oven) .All individual fed but off one radial. Radial run in 6mm T+E from isolator to 1st cooker point then to 2nd then end of radial to 3rd.All items will come off points respectively.

I am a little concerned that i am going to have a problem terminating the the 6mm as radials.What could I use to get the cables securely into the cooker point terminals without having to struggle.I have seen the yellow blade terminals which take up to 6mm cable in each.Ideally these would work.I am just worried that they wont be able to take excessive loads.

What are people doing nowdays to overcome this problem?
Is blade terminals ok?

Regards.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:55 pm

The larger of the spade terminals were used to connect dynamos on cars and at 22 amp seemed to be OK but as the alternator came along and we moved up with outputs we started to have problems with 35 amps and by time we had gone to 45 amp we had stopped using them in the main. I have never seen a ratting but I would say about 20 amp with large and 10 amp with standard is about safe max. In the past I have used the cooker connection boxes the ones used to connect cooker to wires in the wall not the switched unit to connect cables. As to if that is to regulations I don't know.
So I would not use spade connectors but use something where they are clamped with nuts, or something like that, but crimping ring lugs on is no problem. With a max of 36 meters length and 7.5Kw draw. Are you sure you can run it all off one cable? The earth loop impedance only needs to be better than 1 ohm so that should not be a problem but volt drop and max amps may be. I know thermosetting is a little up on PVC but 70 deg to 90 deg is far step in temp and you need to be very careful on runs so I normal use PVC limits.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Regarding the spade terms within the unit, are they not there just for the outgoing wires to the internal works of the unit, proberly no more than 10 amps on each rather than to be used for the supply, and the blocks are just made with extra spare terminals so they can be used by makers in various other units some needing more internal wires.
As for yellow lugs , dont know there current rating,some though are not always rated for mains voltage, but there are ones that are 300V and some are 600v, but still appear very flimsy,
Personally dont even use the round ones for 6mm earth bonds ,uninsulated proper crimp ones lot thicker and stronger

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 am