copper water pipes
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

copper water pipes

by greengrass » Sat May 19, 2007 11:56 am

Kitchen feed pipes in an 8 inch [200mm to conform to EU] x 2inches [50mm] deep channel in the concrete floor screed the existing timber supports have gone rotten.

What's the best way to cover?
1. Re-insulate pipes with new tubular insulation [currently partly wrapped in fibreglass insulation tape] lay fillet each side of the pipes tap a 6inch [150mm] x 3/4 inch [ 20mm neae enough] board, Lift the board straighten the edges of the fillets and fill cavity between fillets to cover pipe level to fillets with silver sand, Re-lay dry board to ensure level. Lift board/s and allow fillets to set.
Or
2. Same insulation? lay thin sand over pipes and follow with mix of 3-1 sharp sand to floor level. No access would be needed to these pipes [I hope] once floor covering is laid.
The leveling board will not be used for the cover. Dry board will be used as board on wet cement can bow.

[b]comment on standard of work in 1976[/b]
If I'd caught the builder his voice would be 2-3 octaves higher. And I think the surveyour was asleep as I've just uncovered a manhole and one backfill drain [one more to uncover].

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: copper water pipes

by greengrass » Sun May 20, 2007 11:47 pm

[quote="greengrass"]Kitchen feed pipes in an 8 inch [200mm to conform to EU] x 2inches [50mm] deep channel in the concrete floor screed the existing timber supports have gone rotten.

What's the best way to cover?
1. Re-insulate pipes with new tubular insulation [currently partly wrapped in fibreglass insulation tape] lay fillet each side of the pipes tap a 6inch [150mm] x 3/4 inch [ 20mm neae enough] board, Lift the board straighten the edges of the fillets and fill cavity between fillets to cover pipe level to fillets with silver sand, Re-lay dry board to ensure level. Lift board/s and allow fillets to set.
Or
2. Same insulation? lay thin sand over pipes and follow with mix of 3-1 sharp sand to floor level. No access would be needed to these pipes [I hope] once floor covering is laid.
The leveling board will not be used for the cover. Dry board will be used as board on wet cement can bow.

[b]comment on standard of work in 1976[/b]
If I'd caught the builder his voice would be 2-3 octaves higher. And I think the surveyour was asleep as I've just uncovered a manhole and one backfill drain [one more to uncover].[/quote]

Don't bother with replies i've been told by a plumber to cover the pipe with Denso tape to prevent cement touching the pipe as it can cause pin hole leaks.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:56 pm