DIY Doctor

Main navigation

correct installation of entry double doors

Postby jelj360 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 pm

hello everyone,

Can any one tell me if the strip of wood covering the join between double doors should be fitted on the interior or exterior- and what is that strip of wood called.

Also what is the overhanging strip of wood on the bottom of the doors on the outside called, and should it be cut vertical at the join or at an angle

hope this make sense to someone, im no expert as you can see!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:16 pm


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby imyourgalfriday » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:04 pm

I only know the answer to the first part of your question....

that strip is called an "astragal." :D
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Postby gwb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:14 pm

if your left side door is your main opening door then the timber should be fitted on the outside of the right hand door or vise versa,the bottom timber is called a weather bar or drip bar fitted to shed water off the doors with the doors closed measure and mark the bar from the door frame to the edge of each door and cut off flush to the edge of each door.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics