DIY Doctor

correcting a building / roofing bad job

Postby blue » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:21 pm


I live in a 1930s end terrace with a gable style bit (triangle... sorry - dont know correct term!!) that is above the upstairs front bay. when the window has been replaced by a previous owner it seems the row of bricks that would normally go on top of the window and below the gable bit are not there and they have basically brought the roof bit down to meet the window - leaving it wonky looking - like it is sagging over the edge of the house on top of the window.

hope that makes sense??

am wondering if it is a roofer or builder who would help rectify this... and if it is a large, disruptive and costly job? - I presume it would need the gable roof tiles all removing, fascias etc removing and all redoing underneath then putting back in place???

any guidance on this would be great!!

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:23 pm


DIY asbestos test kits

Postby greengrass » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:17 am

If you haven't already get in touch with local authority for a structural engineer [it costs unfortunately] to have a look at it and come up with a remedy. It is a gable and the reference is 'Gable end' and it's saggng.
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics