Corroded and Leaking Stopcock Causing Damp?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Monkey85
Labourer
Labourer

Corroded and Leaking Stopcock Causing Damp?

Post by Monkey85 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi,
We've had an increasing smell of damp downstairs for a period but we've been having some walls replastered and decorating so just thought it was linked to that. It's getting worse so tonight I investigated by climbing in my kitchen cupboard (where it's smelt a little funky since we moved in tbh) and sticking my phone through a hole to take some pictures back there in the recess.
To me, the stopcock looks very green and corroded and the floor beneath looks rather mouldy. Doesn't feel wet to touch though. The dishwasher and washing machine are also integrated near here so I'm going to try to pull them out when I've got some help to check it's not these that are leaking too.
I'm going to pull up all the laminate in the lounge/diner that backs onto the kitchen as the smell is worse in there and I suspect the stopcock might have been leaking for some time and the water has been seeping into the concrete floor and spreading across the house.
When we took the skirting boards off in March in the Lounge/diner there were patches of wood that were really soft but not wet so I'm now thinking that something's been leaking since long before we bought the house.
Is it difficult to get a stopcock replaced? And if I pull up the laminate and it's wet concrete beneath should I also pull up all the rest of my floors downstairs to allow them to dry??? Anyone had any experience of this?? Do you think my house insurance would pay for any repairs? This is our first home so I've no idea how that works? It seems like a big problem but I'm hoping it's not too hard to rectify?? Thanks :)

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am