Cost of 'Cheap' but not 'rubbish' fencing for a large area
Topics ranging from metal fencing, wooden fencing and concrete fencing to name just a few. find answers and post your questions here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sheila
Labourer
Labourer

Cost of 'Cheap' but not 'rubbish' fencing for a large area

Post by Sheila » Tue May 15, 2007 12:58 pm

I have an allotment to fence in. This is rather a large area, roughly 70' x 90' although not strictly square. Sadly I am retired and have very little money hense my question. What is the most cost effective type of fencing for this task that will provide a resonable level of security to keep out vandals? I'm not too concerned if they can see what I am growing as long as they can't damage or steal it.
Regards
Sheila

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Wed May 16, 2007 3:46 pm

Problem with fencing is that unless you use barbed, or razor wire, if they can see it, they can get to it. The cheapest type of fencing for a large section is fence panels between 3 inch posts. The panels are 6 feet high so keep you relatively secure. Chain link fencing works out about the same price but can be climbed more easily and your "wares" are on show all of the time.

Sheila
Labourer
Labourer

"Cost of 'Cheap' but not 'rubbish' fencing for a large

Post by Sheila » Thu May 17, 2007 2:16 pm

Dear DIY Doctor
Thank you for the promp reply.

Sadly my knowledge of fencing and the work entailed in errecting it is nonexistent. I have no idea of the types of fencing you describe nor the installation process.

I will check this out on the Internet and hopefully obtain pitures and installation instructions so that I have an idea of what I will be purchasing and the task/amount of work/energy required to errect it.

As the types of fencing you describe are about the same price I suspect I will opt for the former this being the 3" post with fence panels between.

Although I am not concerned about people seeing what I am growing I do have cconcerns regarding the secuirity of the area hence the 'chain link' does not seem to provide the level I desire.

Can you suggest any suppliers in my area [Radcliffe, M/C] or web sites I can visit to find these? Bearing in mind that I am dependent on public transport.

In addition I would appreciate any advice you can provide regarding how to errect such fencing.

If this is available on your web site or via a link on it I would appreciate advise on how to access it. Alternatively a link within your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sheila

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

help at hand

Post by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:10 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:16 am