Could Damp and Mold Affect The Structure of The House?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
traciee79
Labourer
Labourer

Could Damp and Mold Affect The Structure of The House?

by traciee79 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:27 pm

[i]Hi, Sorry if this sounds like a silly post but I am clueless when it comes to building work etc...

I was hoping someone could advise me about could any of the following cause damp and mold within a house structure please...

When I moved into my house in 2009 there were no problems internally but the external wall had a few cracks in it. Over time these cracks became what you see in the photographs below..

Around 2013.. Mold and damp began forming on the internal wall and no matter how many times I would clean it - it would return. Anyway long story short, after finally getting a massive overhaul to the outside and inside of the house at the end of 2018 - all the damp and mold had been sorted and gone.

Only, In Dec 2020 I had to stay in hosp with my daughter for 3/4 days (my other daughter was home) When i came home.. I was mortified to find my bathroom upstairs, landing window and downstairs toilet, area by the back door covered in black mold again.

I have since found out that when my new guttering was put on, the downpipe wasnt put on right so for the past 2 years, the rainwater was coming back in on itself and although the external wall is ok... There is a big gap between the bottom of the walls and the path.

Could the damp and mold problem be structural from when the wall had the gaping holes in it and could the downpipe and the outside gaps be causing it to?
[/i]
Attachments
Could This Cause Damp and Mold to The Structure Over Time
Could This Cause Damp and Mold to The Structure Over Time
This is the same all the way around my house...
This is the same all the way around my house...
The damage on the External Wall... (The mold and Damp are on the Internal Side of this Wall
The damage on the External Wall... (The mold and Damp are on the Internal Side of this Wall
IMG_20210428_132141.jpg (18.08 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Could Damp and Mold Affect The Structure of The House?

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 pm

Hi traciee79
Water will get into your house structure through any cracks in the rendering or painted brick wall. If you have solid walls (rather than cavity walls) this will cause you problem with damp and mould on internal walls.
Get the outside made good and see if this cures the problem but it may take many months to have an effect.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:51 am