DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Council Tax and VAT

Postby elwood » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:58 am


I am about to start work on a barn conversion at the moment its a cow shed
we are going to live on site in a static for about 3 years at what point should I start paying council tax.

Also I have my own building company which is vat registered
can I claim 100% of the vat back on labour and materials.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Postby thedoctor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Check with the council re council tax and look at the DIY Projects section (Self Build - Reclaiming VAT) for help with the VAT
Posts: 2525
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Postby Gypsy07 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:36 am

Legally you should be paying council tax as soon as your static caravan is in place and habitable, even if you're not actually living in it. If it's unoccupied you get an 'empty property' discount, but you are still liable for council tax even when it's unoccupied. I know this because for the last two years I have had a static caravan sitting in a farmyard, on land with no house and no plans to build one, and the council has humped us every step of the way for as much tax as they could get, despite us not living there. They are even trying to charge us for water and sewerage despite us not getting mains water and having our own septic tank. They are a nightmare to deal with when you have anything other than a standard property.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:38 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics