Covering large holes for drains in wall base
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
D-Mac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Covering large holes for drains in wall base

Post by D-Mac » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55 pm

I am about to build a cavity wall that will have a 100mm drain passing through both leaves just above foundation level. I will build the hole for the drain into the wall with lintels over and the hole will be 150-200mm wide as the final position of the drain is subject to slight alteration. The cavity to the sides and above the drain will be filled with lean concrete as it is below ground level.

I am wondering what is the best method to use to close the holes on either side of the wall to keep the concrete infill in and the trench backfill out? As an architectural designer, I have always specified rigid cover sheets to be used for this purpose, but having visited my builders merchants today, they have never heard of such a thing. Does anybody have any suggestions of products or materials to use to cover these holes bearing in mind that they will eventually be below ground and subject to moisture?

Thanks in advance.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

pipe

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:21 am

you are thinking to much into it.
Your pipe will be covered in pea gravel below dpc height and out of sight.
just pile the gravel around the hole each side this will stop the concrete from slumping out the cavity.

D-Mac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by D-Mac » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:22 am

I can see what you're saying, thanks. Internally the drain will have a concrete surround intergrated into the floor slab so mixing the concrete between the slab and the cavity is not a problem I guess.

All of my design reference books have always referred to a rigid cover sheet being applied to either side of the hole at the outer faces of the wall but it appears that builders don't bother with this and merchants therefore don't stock anything for the job.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:48 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:48 am