Coving problem
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
denboy09
Apprentice
Apprentice

Coving problem

by denboy09 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi have a big big problem putting up new coving. It all started with the room being plastered (celing and walls). Ordered coving and adhesive from builders merchants. Coving came but no adhesive they said i could use Mapestik tile adhesive instead. Put coving up with tile adhesive but did notice plaster was still damp.
Next day coving fell down. Ordered proper coving adhesive and put coving up again this time plaster was dry. Next day coving fell down again. Thought third time lucky try the tile adhesive again on dry plaster and put pins under the coving to keep it up. Yep you guessed right it ruddy fell down again. Any ideas what i can do? :evil:

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:03 pm

I always use easy fill if hanging gyproc cove and tack with a pin top and bottom untill dry then its safe to take pins out.

If you have problems get super cove is easy to put up can do a room in 1h its foam filled so no weight and look exactly the same as gyproc cove. Hangs with caulk.

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 30yearsinthegame » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi mate

If it fell down twice then its you not the coving, maybe your rushing it. One thing I can't do is coving I always rush it .

Tip : use artex to stick it up. Its what they all use. It works for them. If you want I can get you in touch with a drinking buddie of mine who is an artex, cover contractor who can give you some advice. Good luck

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm

30yearsinthegame wrote:Hi mate

If it fell down twice then its you not the coving, maybe your rushing it. One thing I can't do is coving I always rush it .

Tip : use artex to stick it up. Its what they all use. It works for them. If you want I can get you in touch with a drinking buddie of mine who is an artex, cover contractor who can give you some advice. Good luck

Never heard of artex being used as an adhesive? I have don it for year and not 1 person i worked/spoke to has ever used artex.

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 30yearsinthegame » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi jrs

The covers I know use artex to stick cove, they don't use nails top and bottom like you, they don't need to. These guys are site workers not diy or private jobs. They cove and then artex in one hit.

I guess you have learnt something jrs and also everyone you spoke to. Artex is cheaper than easyfill and just think how much money you could save from using nails.

Good luck

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 30yearsinthegame » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:02 pm

Just googled this

Using artex to put up coving

Came back with lots of info on people using artex to stick cove.

Hope this helps jrs

Good luck

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:21 pm

30yearsinthegame wrote:Hi jrs

The covers I know use artex to stick cove, they don't use nails top and bottom like you, they don't need to. These guys are site workers not diy or private jobs. They cove and then artex in one hit.

I guess you have learnt something jrs and also everyone you spoke to. Artex is cheaper than easyfill and just think how much money you could save from using nails.

Good luck

I am not DIY. I just tack top and bottom to support weight and to keep in a level line. I do all areas of my trade i dont need a name to convince people i have knowledge. I know my industry i believe there is still more to learn but not using artex to hang gyproc cove. easy fill is dearer but i prefer to use something i know will do the job successfully. I dont scimp on materials.

Anyway my point is made i am only giving my professional advice to a novice,

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

coving

by welsh brickie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:00 pm

I have used drywall adhesive in the past,but pva the wall and ceiling before hand,sets really well.....

30yearsinthegame
Tradesman
Tradesman

by 30yearsinthegame » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi jrs

You are so right. Using materials and methods to suit your own style is good. But please don't take this the wrong way, when I give advice , its advice of 33 years in the wet trades 24 of those years on site. You questioned my 33 years exp and got it wrong. Its fine were all here to learn, esp me . But please don't write things like (every one I know) because its clear that what I said is true. But hey am here to help jrs just like you. If you think you can honestly answer every question correctly , then let me know.

Hope this helps

dudgey
Labourer
Labourer

by dudgey » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:41 pm

hi i have been hanging coving for years and id never use artex as an adhesife it takes to long to dry you need a quicker setting adhesife easyfill does work but a tip i use is to mix with dirty water it will set quicker also dont mix adhesife to thin and dont be afraid to overload back of coving and if surface uneven then use tack pins to help keep cove in place the new lightweight coving is excellent and no problem to hang as when fully laiden with adhesife its still light to lift

[size=18[/b]

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:10 pm

dudgey wrote:hi i have been hanging coving for years and id never use artex as an adhesife it takes to long to dry you need a quicker setting adhesife easyfill does work but a tip i use is to mix with dirty water it will set quicker also dont mix adhesife to thin and dont be afraid to overload back of coving and if surface uneven then use tack pins to help keep cove in place the new lightweight coving is excellent and no problem to hang as when fully laiden with adhesife its still light to lift

[size=18[/b]

Thanks bud so much for his 30 year in the game. A little touchy there replying twice to a thread i never replied to after your rant. You say about me writing everyone i know yet you posted " its what they al use" well i dont and neither does any of the professionals i have worked with hens why i posted my reply. :roll: i have worked with loads of workers who are just like yourself and think because the are 30yearinthegame that they know everything and when a a younger tradesperson gives an opinion its wrong because they have (more experience) Well i guess you lernt something today. :lol:

All in light hearted humour.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm