crack repair.
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
woolyla
Labourer
Labourer

crack repair.

by woolyla » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:38 pm

In my kitchen an old studded wall was removed and then scrim tape applied after the gap had been filled,then the whole ceiling was skimmed.Now I have a crack in my kitchen ceiling which follows the path of an old studded wall.
I have scratched out about 3mm of the crack and filled with flexible filler and repainted but the crack has come back.Can you tell me how to repair without the need to re skim?as parts of the ceiling not easy to reach.MANY MANY THANKS.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:50 pm

woolyla,
I don't quite get what you trying to explain. You have taken a stud wall out and (replaced it) with what? or is that you have enlarged the area to make it bigger by taking the wall out all together, leaving scars up the wall? Was it a stud wall and not a supporting wall? if cracks/gaps are big/deep you need to putting scrim tape over then filling out.
Regards
KB

woolyla
Labourer
Labourer

studded wall gone.

by woolyla » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply,The false studded wall was removed completely and the gap patched with plasterboard about 4incher wide and 5ft long then scrim tape applied before the whole ceiling was all plastered but a crack appears now following the old path of where the wall was.
How can i repair without re skimming whole ceiling.cheers :wink:

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi again,
what you can do is tape the joints with the nylon skrim, Then apply easi-fill jointing compound (there are other types of this compound) over the joints this may take 2 or there application it goes on same as plaster but you fill your joints out only , instead of scimming the whole ceiling and no need to wet down and smooth. The compond sands down when dry and will need priming/sealing before you paint it.
Hope info useful
KB

woolyla
Labourer
Labourer

crack repair.

by woolyla » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:13 pm

when putting scrim tape over fine cracks and easyfill over scrim tape then when dry sand down,do you mean scratch out some of the cracked plaster so the scrim tape sits in the wall before filling??because if the scrim tape is put ontop of crack then filled and sanded when dry,won't this be sitting proud off the wall?and look like a slight bulge in the wall especially on a very long fine crack?many many thanks. : :wink:

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:20 am