Cracked plastic cistern
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gstevenz
Labourer
Labourer

Cracked plastic cistern

by gstevenz » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:15 am

I have a Balterley vogue WC which I bought from MFI last year which has a plastic cistern which sits inside a ceramic shell. The plastic cistern has a 10cm crack along its base (the plastic is relatively firm but not brittle - somewhere in between wheelie bin plastic and laser printer casing). Would you have any suggestions as to how to permanently fix this. Araldite has been suggested but I am concerned that this will merely form a layer over the crack and will not be waterproof in the long term.

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:53 pm

For the cost involved I would just replace it.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:50 am

I agree - replace it. Its low cost really. If nothing else for peace of mind because you'll be forever concerned that the repair wil fail.

Cheers

gstevenz
Labourer
Labourer

by gstevenz » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks chaps. I actually spoke to a plumbers merchant this morning. They contacted Balterley (or Mark II as their parts dpt are called) on my behalf but they werent prepared to sell the cistern independently. They will only sell the full cistern including the ceramic shell. £96! I dont suppose you have any contacts who are able to get single parts by any chance?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 pm