Crazing paint after painting over silk paint in front room
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emmajackt
Labourer
Labourer

Crazing paint after painting over silk paint in front room

by emmajackt » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:58 pm

HI, When I moved house a few years ago the front room walls were painted with a silk paint. I mist coated over this and then I painted my walls with some Johnsons matt emulsion but as I was rolling it, it was bubbling and causing all sorts of problems. I am now going to rub down and tackle the job again. Looking at the walls apart from the peeling, it has crazing all over as in the attached picture. I have been advised to use a solvent based undercoat and then emulsion over that. I cannot find a solvent based undercoat/primer paint for walls anywhere and was wondering if the solvent based paint for wood would be ok? It seems to me that it would be too thick, even if diluted with white spirit, but if someone could point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful

Cheers, Kev.
Attachments
crazed paint.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Crazing paint after painting over silk paint in front room

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Hi emmajackt
Oil based wood undercoat will be fine - thinning will depend on the make you buy. Doubt you will ever get a smooth finish short of getting a skim coat applied.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:35 pm