Creaking Floors That Seem to be Coming From Under Partition Wall
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Barrysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Creaking Floors That Seem to be Coming From Under Partition Wall

by Barrysh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Hi, I spent a couple of days at my son's new house over Xmas and the creaking floors drove me daft, nearly all of the upstairs floors creak. The house is a detached property about 20 years old. I've heard stories about boards squeaking because they rub against raised nails and how talkum powder can stop boards rubbing against each other. Anyway yesterday I thought i would try to get rid of some of the noise. The flooring is those large T&G chipboard/hardbourd type of boards. I tackled one particularly noisy board. None of the nails appeared to have lifted but I fitted 2inch screws along side of them to see if it would help. No such luck. It does not seem to be the boards that are creaking but it's the joists. If you stand 2ft away from any partition wall the floor creaks not where you stand but under the partition wall. You can stand in some places and the floor creaks 3 or 4 ft away. Not sure of the type of construction of the partitions but if I slde a hacksaw blade under the skirting (there is quite a gap) I can feel a metal upright every couple of foot. Anyone any ideas. Thanks, Barry

karansoni
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Creaking Floors That Seem to be Coming From Under Partition Wall

by karansoni » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi mate, did you manage to fix this? I’ve just moved into a 1999 property and got exactly the same issue. Been told to replace the whole floorboards which seems a bit over the top. Please do let me me know if you found a solution, currently got 2 rooms out of order

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 am