Creating a tiled hearth on laminate (for decorative purposes only) with a Victorian fireplace
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Aimee0910
Labourer
Labourer

Creating a tiled hearth on laminate (for decorative purposes only) with a Victorian fireplace

by Aimee0910 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:02 am

We have since painted the walls and surround dark blue, but this is the same floor (excuse the dust!)
We have since painted the walls and surround dark blue, but this is the same floor (excuse the dust!)

Hello everyone,

We are trying to re-instate original features in our Victorian terrace and have bought a fireplace from a neighbour and a wooden surround to go with it. We have good quality laminate (I think it's laminate!) flooring which we are keeping for the next few years until we extend and will then sand the floors.

Granite/slate hearths are very expensive and obviously designed for actual fires, whereas ours is just decorative and I prefer the tiled look. My question is, how can I create a tiled hearth with our laminate flooring? Could we tile onto another surface that we can stick down to our laminate somehow and then create some edging?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Creating a tiled hearth on laminate (for decorative purposes only) with a Victorian fireplace

by stoneyboy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi Aimee0910
Suggest you make or find a fender in the same wood as the surround. Then infill using roofing slates which are easy to cut to any shape you want.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:59 am