Crumbling Vertical Mortar Joints and Damp Issues in 1911 Terraced Cottage
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
whitethorn
Labourer
Labourer

Crumbling Vertical Mortar Joints and Damp Issues in 1911 Terraced Cottage

by whitethorn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Hi

We've just bought a 1911 terraced cottage with damp issues. We are in the process of reducing ground levels and installing new air bricks to remedy the issues. There had been some re pointing to the bay with cement which we have chipped off as it was originally lime mortar. Some of the lime mortar has crumbled away which I suspected was due to the cement not allowing the moisture out and I have been filling the gaps with a 3:1 lime mortar mix. Any advice as to whether the gaps could be more sinister? We had a building survey which mentions thermal movement but not structural or subsidence so I'm hoping this fix should work?
Attachments
IMG_20160612_232133.jpg

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Crumbling Vertical Mortar Joints and Damp Issues in 1911 Terraced Cottage

by welsh brickie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:17 pm

from the picture you sent, I could not see anything to worry about, no cracked bricks, the concrete cill looks intact, minor cracks are acceptable due to settlement,

whitethorn
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Crumbling Vertical Mortar Joints and Damp Issues in 1911 Terraced Cottage

by whitethorn » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks that's reassuring to hear. I think we just panicked when scrapping out the mortar it had just crumbled to dust. We could see through to the inside of the house! Many thanks for your reply.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 pm