cut through a wire
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kemp596
Labourer
Labourer

cut through a wire

by kemp596 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi I managed to cut through a wire for my central heating today. I dont know much about electrics so looking for some help. The fuse in the fuse box is rated at 6amps so theres not alot of power going through the wire, I have joined the wire that I cut through using block connectors rated at a maximum of 15 amps, however the wire wasnt long enough to be able to connect back together, so I joined in a new piece of cable the same thickness as the original which was rated at a maximum of 13amps. I have turned the power back on and the central heating works fine, I was just wondering if using the block connectors on the Live, Neutral and earth wires is ok to do and will the bit of wire I have used to lengthen it be ok. As I said I dont really know much about electrics so looking for some reassure really

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Connector blocks should be used within an enclosure. There are a host of enclosures and there are special enclosures with maintenance free connector blocks (No screws to come lose) which can be used where the is no access.

Most electricians would crimp or solder (winding cables together first) all connections and cover with shrink sleeve (outer with glue on inside) or other damp proof method could be self-amalgamating tape followed by standard insulation tape. Do remember self-amalgamating tape creeps and although water proof it needs standard tape as well.

Consideration must be made for the need for a tool to remove repair. A tapped joint which is accessible could be un-taped without a tool so not allowed.
Access to live parts must require a tool or key.

As you have asked in very general terms the answer is only general guidance and one must consider any plaster wall may get damp and non pure water has free ions and conducts well. So any cables buried in a wall must be water proof.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:57 pm