Cutting a Glass Shower Door
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bob1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cutting a Glass Shower Door

Post by Bob1 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:59 am

Please help!!!!

Is it possible to cut a Glass shower door.?
I have a frameless shower unit around a quadrant tray. The wall is out so the glass door and one of the side frames is overlapping at the top when trying to close. There is no play in the design to compensate for the out of square. The glass is 5mm thick. Is it possible to cut 10mm all the way down the door or the side panel.
If so can it be done in situ or do I need to take apart?
If it can be done and by a DIY'er what tools do I need.
Or is it going to shatter into a thousand pieces.
Can I take it anywhere to be done. Assuming I get it there and back in one piece?

Any help would be very very much appreciated.

aeyres
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aeyres » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:51 pm

It will shatter into a thousand pieces! Toughened glass cannot be cut down. It will definitely be toughened glass due to building regs.

When you say the glass is 'frameless', how is it fixed to the wall? Is there a channel or a bracket?? as there should be some adjustment with most shower door systems like these.
How far 'out' is the wall?

Bob1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Bob1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Thought as much.......
The side panels and door have predrilled holes for the handle, hinges and brackets which support the side panels via small brackets to the wall and the shower tray. There are also 2 struts that go from the side walls and grip onto the top of the side glass panels to prevent them wobbling.

All the holes are wider then the corresponding bolts/brackets that go through them to allow for movement 360 degree adjustment prior to tightening. Sadly in my case its not enough.

Lesson learned I suppose. Rubbish builder who build the extention and an apparent deal on a shower unit on ebay. Not a recipe for success.

I have just taken delivery of a sheet of perspex cut to size with the appropriate holes in the right places and it fits like a glove.

Slight difference in colour to the glass which has a greenish finish, while the perspex is absolutely clear.

Not sure how it will fare but worst case scenario it will provide me a spot on template that is easy to transport to a glazier.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to read and post a reply.
Much appreciated.

peter gibbs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by peter gibbs » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 am

[quote="aeyres"]It will shatter into a thousand pieces! Toughened glass cannot be cut down. It will definitely be toughened glass due to building regs.

When you say the glass is 'frameless', how is it fixed to the wall? Is there a channel or a bracket?? as there should be some adjustment with most shower door systems like these.
How far 'out' is the wall?[/quote]

My shower window, toughened glass, is held by three hinges apparently stuck on with what looks to be a black mastic. The mastic is deteriorating but before I take it all apart and try to refix with something better, what is the magic adhesive of all the many on the shelf, that will do this? Does the stuff auto window repairers use work in this envornment, and can DIYers like me get hold of a small quantity?

Any insights gratefully received.

Peter

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:55 pm