Cutting a new doorway in a single brick wall
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
russellfl
Ganger
Ganger

Cutting a new doorway in a single brick wall

by russellfl » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi, can anyone tell me the process for cutting an internal doorway. Hallway to lounge?
The wall is a single block wall in a bungalow and doesn't support anything as it runs the same way as the roof joists. I presume I will need a lintel? even though there's only one block above where the new doorway will be.

Would you advise cutting the opening exaxtly to the size of the new door lining or to cut it bigger and put something like 100mm to 50mm timber in between to make sure it won't flex out of true?

Cheers!

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Cutting a new doorway in a single brick

by Perry525 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:05 pm

Before cutting the hole, take into account the swing of the door and its best position. Decide on the line and fix battens on the wall to use as a guide, cut the hole larger than the frame size to allow for adjustment, remove the blocks starting at the ceiling, fit a wooden lintel to carry the load above the doorway.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 pm