Cymraeg
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ericmark

Cymraeg

by ericmark » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:20 pm

I have looked for Welsh version of BS 7671:2008 and Part P and can find neither does this mean they are not valid in Wales?
Eric

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:16 pm

My understanding is that building regulations are applicable to both England and Wales under the same banner, I also understand this to be the same with BS7671 and as they do hold this course in Wales I think this also gives my reasoning some credibility. I'm also sure they a publish the Welsh Version in Welsh if needed, especially building regs (Rheoliadau Adeiladu). Look on direct.gov site. Sorry for being a bit vague.
KB

zebedee
Labourer
Labourer

Cymraeg: Welsh language version of British Srtandard

by zebedee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:36 pm

The Welsh Language Act of 1993 obliged all organisations in the public sector [b]providing services to the public in Wales[/b] to treat Welsh and English on an equal basis.

Possibly during the Thatcher era, the British Standards Institution became BSinternational, a not-for-profit trading organisation. It may be that this was a form of privatisation that put the BSI outside the definition of the Welsh Language Act as a public body providing public services to the people of Wales. I do not know its actual legal status.

Concerning the BSi Group, Wikipedia notes that the British Standards Institution (or BSI) is a multinational business services provider whose principal activity is the production of standards and the supply of standards-related services.

Even though there will not be a Welsh version of BS7671, if the laws of England and Wales require compliance, then the validity of the standard will apply in Wales.

Zebedee.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:19 am

Thank you for your replies especially zeebedee.
With English as my first language the English version is OK for me but I have a friend who’s first language is Welsh. I had assumed there would be Welsh version and until I came to get one never even thought about it. In college and University he had the right to insist on the lectures being in Welsh and when they gave us a Chinese lecturer who we all had problems understanding he said he could not understand her English and wanted the Lecture in Welsh which forced the Uni’s hand and we had a different lecturer who we could understand in English. Not sure what they would have done if he had not backed down and accepted the new guy.
Not sure about the 2382 exam I would expect they would use a translator? I did wonder what would have happened if I had asked for extra time due to being Dyslexic I am sure there must be allowance for that somewhere?
But I know Part P is not valid in Scotland maybe that is also a language problem? It we look at non British languages that’s easy if they don’t read English they can’t do job but with Native languages in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Cornwell surely the native languages must be catered for? We all know what Heddlu means although I now see the welsh only police car sign has now been denied. But just as those of us living in Wales get to know the Welsh signs and can read enough to get by it is of course the same other way around and although I have not met a Welsh only speaker in many years I have met many who have a problem with English grammar and although they can understand OK to reply is a problem. The singular and plural plus the three ******* in English against just two in Wales causes problems and when even the English can’t agree what “A” means in “537.1.4 A main linked switch” does it mean at least one or only one. If the English speaking can’t agree what chance will those have where it is not their first language?
Eric

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:36 pm

If you are Dyslexic or have other learning difficulties, the colleges are now quite willing to help within the classroom and the exam room but I do know that I had a friend who had a poor understanding of some English words and of course in the classroom his classmates were always on hand to help as was the tutor, in explaining the meanings of some of the words that created problems, but come exam time there was no help available as the college thought it might be giving unfair advantage to this pupil. This led to this pupil strugling and getting poor results he ended up leaving the course for this reason.
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 am