damp above the dpc ???
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

Jos5
Apprentice
Apprentice

damp above the dpc ???

by Jos5 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Hey Docs

I've been scratching my head for a while about what I'm assuming to be penetrating damp which appears sporadically at the base of a wall in one of our bedrooms. The wall is solid and there is an injected DPC.

Looking from the outside, I'm pretty sure that the damp patch we see on the inside (30-40 cm tall, 1m wide) is the area immeidately above the DPC that you can see on the outside.

Floor height inside is about 60cm above the ground level outside and that area of wall is sheltered from above by an adjoing building next to it (flats have been built between 2 semi detatched houses with a roadway running underneath).

So what I dont understand is how rainwater can get to the base of a wall thats completely sheltered from above, has a dpc directly beneath it and is nowhere near any internal pipework.

I'm guessing there must be joints or cracks running a really long way into the area from some other place that is exposed to the elements but how can I find where that might be?

Cheers

Jos

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:05 pm