damp after flooding repairs carried out
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wendyf
Labourer
Labourer

damp after flooding repairs carried out

by wendyf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Please please can somebody advise me>

Was flooded and property completely stripped out. Passed as dry and replastered. Within weeks the damp was back and is now 3 ft high. Contacted insurers who tell my my damp course is defective and will not rectify anything.

Is this my fault or should the builder/loss adjuster advised me to have a new damp course installed prior to restoration work. Skirting boards have fallen off kitchen units fallen apart and mould and salts coming through the entire downstairs.

I am looking at £10,000 worth of damage, please can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Perhaps you will tell us a bit more?
When was the property flooded?
How deep was the water?
How long was it before someone said it had dried out?
Who was that someone?
How did they test for damp?
In how many places did they test for damp?
Do you have a solid ground floor?

You see it is very difficult to say how long a property will take to dry out as a lot depends on the weather and what is done inside to speed the drying process.

Then when the home is brought back into use, the people living in the property and how they live has an effect.

For example. A property that is kept warm inside 24/7 and has extractor fans in the bathroom and kitchen that are used properly, will dry more quickly than one where the heating is turned off overnight and perhaps during the day.

If your dpc was in perfect condition before the flood there should be no reason why it should have stopped working - unless there is debris deposited by the flood that has not been removed.

Are you saying that the kitchen furniture was replaced after the flood and it has fallen apart or, that the kitchen furniture was not replaced?

If it was not replaced why not?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:07 am