Damp bricks
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jacquesy
Labourer
Labourer

Damp bricks

by jacquesy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Right I'll try to Keep this as short as possible...

My house was injection damp proofed in 1985 with a 30 year guarantee by previous owners in 1985, when I purchased the house I was given copies of letters between the previous owners and the damp company regarding an ongoing problem...

A few years after the work was done the bottom few feet of the new plaster became damp and the owners called the company back, they took a sample of the plaster and said that the wrong type was used....it should have bee limelite, this all makes sense so far.

I'm now in the position where I have chipped the bottom meter of the plaster away ready to re-plaster with the correct limelite renovating stuff but the bottom 4 bricks and mortar are wet (I purchased a damp detected)...is this normal? My concern is if I spend a lot of money re-plastering for the damp to come through again or will this be fine is the correct plaster is used?

In theory the injection still has 5 years guarantee remaining so it should be OK to plaster over with the right stuff right? I've had a damp company over today who have told me I need to re damp proof at a cost of 1.5k but I really felt as if he was just looking for a sale more than telling me the trut.h

Any expert opinions would be great!

Thanks very much!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:06 pm

jacquesy,
In an ideal world the injection of the dpc should have been carried out carefully to ensure a continuous layer of silicone soaked bricks and mortar at the bottom of the wall.
In reality this does not happen, cavities in the wall mean that the silicone is not pressure injected into the areas adjacent to the cavity and for ease of injection the holes are drilled well above floor level.
If you are not prepared to have the injection redone I can only suggest that you try apply a layer of strong sand/cement render incorporating a waterproofing additive to the lowest area of the wall and then over plaster this and the remainder of the wall with the limelite.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:48 am